Thursday, June 30, 2011

More stuff I've been up to!

Well, it's been more than 2 weeks now and I'm having a great time here in Jarabacoa.  I'm really getting to know my host mom and brother fairly well and I'm very comfortable hanging out with them.  I find that it is getting much easier to understand the Spanish spoken here than it was last week.  I've narrowed down my research question, created my survey instrument, and have nearly finished my literature review, so I am well on my way into my research.  In the next few days I will be interviewing people!  I am a bit nervous about this, but it has to be done!  In other news, last Saturday we went to a place called Ebano Verde.  It's a cloud forest and nature preserve on a mountain.  The 15 minute hike to the summit was easily the hardest hike I have ever done.  It was disgustingly steep.  But I have to say the view was worth it.  From the summit we hiked down for 5 kilometers, and the vegetation was absolutely breathtaking (we didn't see much wildlife).  At the bottom there was a waterfall and a swimming hole.  The water was COLD (and I slipped on the rocks) but it was so awesome.  Sunday I went out dancing with a group of Dominican women.  I dance poorly, but it was still a lot of fun!  Yesterday myself, 3 other students, my host brother, and a few of his friends walked to the river after class.  It was pretty sweet.  Apparently the river is the place to go in Jarabacoa if you wanna hang out!

No comments:

Post a Comment